Water fasting is also known as water cleanse. It is one of the most intense fasting options available in recent times. It has been advocated as the best ways for detoxification and to bring about therapeutic changes. Water fasting is a zero calorie diet. It is very much different from calorie restriction in which a person’s daily calorie intake is reduced by 20-40%.
Water fasting is not suitable for everyone and not at all times. It is done based on religious or spiritual reasons, to raise awareness for a particular cause, to reduce weight, lower blood cholesterol and heart rate, reduces body fat, and even reduces the risk of serious conditions.
The first few days of fast are difficult. The emotional challenge of not consuming any food is very challenging. After 2 to 3 days the body goes into a state of ketosis but its not a ketogenic diet , where it generates fuel by burning fat stores in our body.
Benefits of water fasting :
- As water fasting is zero calories intake it leads to burn out approximate 1 pound of fat per day. Hence it is considered as the fastest weight loss method.
- With water fasting there is less fluctuation in blood sugar levels, thus increasing insulin sensitivity.
- After an episode of infection and inflammation water fasting helps in improving body repair, recovery, and healing.
- This zero calorie diet is known to lower blood pressure, and stress levels.
- It reduces the cancer cell proliferation.
- Water fasting is known to increase immunity.
- Water fasting has potential effects on reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- It is known to slow down ageing and cognitive decline.
- Water fasting is ideal in those having gastrointestinal problems such as gastritis, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, acid peptic disease, and sensation of bloating.
- Water fasting is an excellent opportunity for spiritual and emotional introspection.
Who can do Water fasting :
Water fasting is for those who are medically fit. The individual should be able to cope up with intense calorie deprivation. Underweight people might feel this fast too hard to follow, as they can experience more fatigue compared to the others. It is ideal to consult a medical professional before starting this water fast.
Obese people tend to lose weight with this form of diet. However, the weight reduced will return as soon as the calorie rich diet is reintroduced. So its highly recommended way to quick weight loss for Obese people.
How to do Water fasting :
Water fast requires dedication. It is not a simple fast. It requires perseverance and dedication for 7 to 14 days for the actual procedure.
- Planning : It is very essential to prepare the body for the fast. Setting the mind to accept the various bodily reactions encountered during fast is very essential.
- Before the fast : It is needed to follow with alternatives to water before the fast.
- How long to fast : It is common to fast for 4 to 7 days. The fatter an individual, fasting for longer periods is possible
- Water fast : While on water fast it is advised to have only mineral water. At least a minimum of 2 to 3 liters of water should be consumed per day.
- Weight loss : This is observed in the initial few days.
- Body reactions : Women take about 2 days and men take 3 days for their body’s to get adjusted to this fast. For the initial few days there will be hunger pangs associated with dizziness, weakness, nausea encountered. After 2 to 3 days these reaction subside and the body feels energetic.
- Rest : Plenty of rest is advised before commencing and during the fast allowing the body to detoxify and heal itself.
- Break the fast : Just after breaking the fast it should be kept in mind not to over-indulge. Easily digestible items should be started immediately after breaking the fast.
- After the fast : There is a sense of well-being after the fast.
Conditions where water fasting is beneficial:
Water fasting is beneficial for many conditions those include –
- Water fasting motivates Weight loss : This is the most important benefit of water fast. As the body goes into a state of ketosis, the internal fat stores are being used up for energy. In water fasting a state of ketosis is achieved faster than any other diet plan. Thus weight loss is drastic with this type of fast.
- Water fasting cures Hypertension : Medically supervised water fasting is the treatment for hypertension.
- Water fasting Slows down aging : Water fasting reduces the oxidative damage and inflammation and thus slows aging. It is a known fact that no force on earth can reduce aging. Water fast helps in slowing the process of aging.
- Water fasting Improves cell recycling : Water fasting encourages body’s natural healing mechanisms to destroy and recycle the damaged tissues.
- Water fasting reduce cancer risk : Decreased incidence of cancer and metabolic syndrome.
Read Also : Hidden Poisonous Food In Our Kitchen
6. Water fasting helps in Colon cleanser : water fast helps in colon diseases by cleaning the colon of the toxic wastes and aids digestion.
Complications or Risks of water fasting : Is it water fasting risky ?
Water fasting has got lot of its own benefit as pros but there cons of water fasting which is mainly because there are so many complications or health issues with water fasting.
- Electrolyte imbalance s observed first.
- Cardiac arrhythmias, nephrolithiasis, gout.
- It lowers the blood pressure significantly especially on standing, causes anaemia, and gouty arthritis.
- The chances of sudden death are also noted.
Who should not do Water fasting :
Everyone cannot do water fasting only very healthy persons can try water fasting . If you have certain medical conditions water fasting is risky for you .
- People who are emaciated.
- Pregnant and nursing mothers.
- Diabetic patients.
- Those on medications.
Medically supervised water fasting appears to be safe and effective means to maintain healthy life style. Water fasting is an essential way to reset the system and to experience health benefits. It is an opportunity to abandon bad eating habits and start with good eating habits after the fast.
Water fast is the ideal fast with lot of benefits. Weight loss is significant with water fast. It is an awesome way to burn fat for energy. Water fast though hard on the body is an excellent way to rejuvenate our physical and mental health. Thus water fasting is considered as the ultimate fat burner and body detox cleanser.