In simple words, Cosmetic Surgery is a procedure performed on any part of the human body to improve its looks. For instance, a cosmetic surgery of the face can improve the way your face appears / looks. This is a famous medical procedure in the glamour industry among celebrities. It is known to increase the level of confidence too. It is an individual’s option to go under the knife for reshaping their body parts. It is however not advisable to expect someone else’s looks or appearances on you which the reason for such a surgery becomes.
Cosmetic Surgery a Detailed guide on different cosmetic treatments
The expectations of a cosmetic surgery should be realistic while those with a positive outlook usually choose this. The types are categorized based on the part of the body as follows:
1. Breast Surgery
This is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries. This is medically termed as Mammoplasty which has the following sub categories:
- Breast Augmentation: It is also called Augmentation Mammoplasty or simply breast enlargement. Women with certain conditions like one breast being smaller than the other or those who think they need bigger breasts to increase sexuality undergo this procedure. Even those whose breasts have sagged after pregnancy and breastfeeding choose breast augmentation. In this procedure silicone gel prosthetics are used. Also, there is a procedure where fat from other parts of the body is injected into the breasts through liposuction. This is done if the person wants only a small increase in size.
- Breast Reduction: It is also called Reduction Mammoplasty. In this procedure excess fat is removed. The aim of this surgery is to achieve a proper size of the breasts. It is usually expected to be in proportion with the body in order to reduce discomfort caused due to over-sized breasts.
- Breast Lift: It is also called Mastopexy. This procedure is to raise the breasts by removing excess skin around it which will tighten the breasts. The cause for a sagged breast may be pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight changes, age , gravity and inheritance. Such a surgery usually gives the feel of youthfulness for those who want to feel young.
Read Also : Amazing Fitness Apps To Track Calories & Keep You Motivated
2. Body reshaping
This involves various parts of the body like Buttocks, stomach/tummy, fat reduction, liposuction etc. Here is the list of such body reshaping cosmetic surgeries:
- Fat Transfer: This is the process of removing excess fat in one part of the body and transferring it to other parts which lack fat. For instance, fat from thighs are removed and transferred to breast through breast augmentation
- Liposuction: That tough fat in certain areas of the body which are resistant to both diet and exercises can be removed through liposuction. It is like sculpting your body, reshaping as per your needs. Something that you feel is not proportionate can be brought into proportion through liposuction.This includes arm lift, thigh lift, tummy tuck and body contouring.
Read Also : Weight loss booster Foods you should take before & after exercise
- Buttock augmentation and Buttock lift: This is the same as augmentation of breasts and breast lift. The same is performed on the buttocks. The reason for surgery being improvement to the body shape and proportion
- Arm lift: Weight fluctuations loosening the skin which makes it droop down, giving a sagging appearance. This may also be the result of a surgery also. Such a case can be corrected with arm lift surgery which tightens the underlying tissues and reducing fat pockets
3. Face and Neck Surgery
The popular and demanded surgery in the field of cosmetic surgery is the face and neck surgeries. The reasons may be vast which include skin brightening, changing colour of the skin, reshaping to change the look and many more. Victims of accidents usually choose cosmetic surgery but it is not limited just to them. Any one who wants to change the way their face looks can go under the knife. Here are the different face and neck surgeries:
- Face lift surgery: It is medically termed as rhytidectomy. This type of surgery can improve signs of aging on the face such as relaxation of skin that causes sagging, deepening of the fold lines between nose and mouth, fat reduction, jowls, tightening the skin. A turkey neck can be corrected by face lift surgery.
- Brow Lift surgery: Aging is the main factor for changes in the brow but is not limited to that. Accidents, or episodes from any other kind of hurting or a tragedy can be the cause of improper shape of the eyebrow. Such a brow can be corrected by performing a brow life surgery. It is also known as forehead lift surgery which involves wrinkle reduction on the forehead, improving frown lines, raising sagging brows and also placing eyebrows in an youthful position that is expected to be attractive by the individual who undergoes this type of cosmetic surgery.
Read Also : Staggering Pros and Cons of Microblading
- Chin Surgery : Also known as Mentoplasty, it enhances the chin by using an implanted or reduces the bone. Those with a magnifying chin or those whose chin is rarely visible undergo chin surgery. It gives a proportion to the face and improves the overall look of a person.
- Ear Surgery : Also known as Otoplasty, it corrects the shape and size of the ear. Birth deformities and misshapen ears due to injury can be repaired giving a proper shape and proportion to the ear with the face. Macrotia, a condition in which ears are oversized can be corrected through ear surgery. Protruding ears on one side or both the sides can also be treated. Ear surgery does not treat hearing loss.
- Nose Surgery: Also known as Rhinoplasty, popularly patients call it ‘nose reshaping’ or ‘nose job’, this surgery enhances the whole look of the face by maintaining a proportion of the nose with that of the face. It is famous amongst those in the glamour industry as the face plays an important role for them. Nose size for facial balance, removal of lumps, reshaping the bridge of the nose, correction of improper shaping of the nostrils are all achieved through nose surgery.
- Neck lift surgery : Also known as Rhytidectomy, it improves the aging signs in the jawline and neck. Also, a neck lift surgery can treat excess fat deposition in the lower face and chin area, loose skin and muscle banding in the neck.
- Eyelid surgery : Also known as Blepharoplasty, it improves the appearance of the eyelids. You may choose eye lid surgery either on the upper eye lid or on the lower eyelid. It is not only to enhance appearance but also to treat functional problems such as puffy eyes, drooping skin or excess fat deposition.
4.Minimally Invasive Surgery:
A minimally invasive surgery is a cosmetic surgery in which the patient need not go under the knife completely. They involve methods such as laser, chemical process and other micro surgeries.
- Botulinum Toxin : A bacteria derived purified substance is used in the form of injection to reduce muscle contraction which in turn has the ability to diminish unwanted wrinkles of the skin. It also can smooth : Crow’s feet, Forehead furrows, frown lines and skin bands on the neck.
- Chemical Peel : This process uses chemical solutions to improve the skin texture by exfoliating/removing outer layers which are damaged or unwanted. Though this is mostly performed on the face, it can also be used on the neck and hands. There is almost in invasion in this procedure. Acne, acne scars, age spots, fine lines,wrinkles, freckles, irregular skin pigmentation, rough skin, sun damage can all be treated using chemical peel.
- Laser Treatment : In this process, strong laser beams/lights are used to treat the particular area. For instance, laser hair removal is a permanent solution for unwanted hair growth in certain areas of the body. Laser skin resurfacing can also be done for facial improvements and birth mark removal.
- Pigmentation : An organic pigment is added under the skin to add a permanent colour to the skin which is called micro pigmentation or permanent make up. In this a small hand held device punctures the skin which causes minimum discomfort since the needle is too thin and the pigment is pushed inside. The surgery can also enhance lips and eyebrows creating the look of a lip shade, blush and eye shadow.
Cosmetic Surgery Vs. Plastic Surgery
Though cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery are both performed to enhance the look of the body or a particular part of the body, they both are not the same. They are closely related to each other but are different in their own way technically.We may get confused that cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery are same but they are not exactly same. So here is how they differ from each other.
|Improves appeal, Symmetry and proportion
||Corrects dysfunctional areas of the body
||Non Elective Surgery
|Training is obtained separately after residency program
||Training is through a post graduate residency program
Pros and Cons of Cosmetic Surgeries
Though we are not detailing the entire pros and cons of cosmetic surgeries , here is the highlights of that .
- Cosmetic surgery can boost the confidence level of a person in terms of physical appearance
- For those who wished they didn’t have a particular thing in their body can opt for cosmetic surgery which will reduce inferiority complex in them.
- It can benefit a person superficially.
- Cosmetic Surgery is also a surgery and the risks involved are the same as in any other surgery
- Cosmetic surgeries are expensive since most of them are fancy procedures
- For those who presume they get a fake version of themselves after the surgery it does affect their mentality.
How to chose the right cosmetic surgery
First, you have to chose where you are going to get the surgery done. Usually the beauty obsession has taken a lot of people on a cosmetic surgery tour to various famous destinations such as Europe, North Africa, Korea and the U.S. Depending on your affordability you may choose where you want to undergo the procedure.
You have to consider these points to choose the right cosmetic surgeon
- Board Certified Surgeon.
- Experienced and specialized as well as known for his best works.
- Healthy doctor’s record where there is no problem with his license and no records of malpractices.
- Good review from patients
- Privileges in the hospital.
Next, think if you really need to go under the knife or can opt for the minimally invasive methods. The choice is entirely dependent on you. In some cases which involves the genitals you may consider the opinion of your partner too if required. Overall a surgery is risky and before you chose, you should have a complete test of your health and explain medical complications to the treating doctor. You should be able to communicate in a language understandable by the doctor and if any thing goes wrong, you should be able to come back home at the earliest. So choose a destination which is suitable in all forms for you.
Top 10 destinations for cosmetic Surgery:
As per statistics and reviews here are the top 10 countries known for cosmetic surgery because of the quality of surgery and reliability as well as affordability is listed down. These are known as the best destinations for cosmetic surgeries:
- Dominican Republic
Based on affordability you may check the prices and touring possibilities for the best cosmetic surgery around the world.
Hope this article has provided information about the cosmetic surgery and how it is different from regular plastic surgery. However it is a surgery which has health concerns. So when you are choosing to undergo a cosmetic surgery you should be clear about communicating your medical history including the medicines you are taking along with your allergies to the treating doctor. This improves the quality and ease of treatment.